Thursday, September 3, 2015

Dear Kim Davis

Dear Kim Davis,

You don't know me.  We will probably never meet.  I won't be applying for a marriage license in your office, but that's only because I'm a resident of Fayette County and not yours.   And you probably won't read this, but I want to say it anyway.

I forgive you.  And I want to apologize to you.

First, I want to forgive you for what you're doing.  I see your protests and your refusal to issue marriage licenses to these LGBTQ couples and they cut to the very core of my being because in judging them, you were judging me.  In doing so, you have caused a break in our relationship - you have sinned against me and you don't even know me.  And if I'm going to take serious my call as a Christian, I'm going to forgive you.  I'm going to pray for you.  Because that's what Jesus teaches me to do.

And I must apologize to you.  I've thought hurtful things about you.  I've said things that make fun of you and your beliefs to my friends.  I wasn't acting like the Christian that I wanted to be.  I've thought that you were ignorant or bigoted.  And even though we haven't met, I've broken our relationship too.  So I must confess this to you and ask your forgiveness as well, knowing it may not ever come.

I pray that we can come to have a restored relationship.  I am going to try to see you as a person - as the Child of God that you are.  I hope that you are able to see me the same way.

In Christ's Love,
Jared

No comments:

Post a Comment