Thursday, November 7, 2013

Why? Why? Why?

Why is the sky blue?
Why is the grass green?
Why do we go to church?

Why?
Why?
Why?

Why is the most basic of human questions.  From an early age, we want to know why.  Why do things work the way that they work?  Why do we do the things we do?

And it's also one of the most frustrating questions that humans ask.  Too often when asked why, we respond with "Because I said so."  Or maybe if we're feeling frustrated we reply,  "Because."

So I repeat, why do we go to church?

Is it just "because?"

I hope not.

But, I feel, for many people in churches across the country and maybe even around the world, the answer really is, "because we've always done it."

We go because mom and dad took us.
We go because we want our kids to be raised in the church environment, even though it's not really important for us.
We go because it's what society expects of us.
We go because our friends are there.

We go just because.

Unfortunately our reasons for going to church don't cut it anymore.  People don't buy into this idea that church is something that we just do.

Our society is saying, "You keep giving us explanations that fall short.  We don't buy it anymore."

Church isn't something that mom and dad do with their children anymore.
Church isn't the only place for moral formation any more.
Church isn't expected of us from society.
Church isn't the only place we find friends and family.

Church isn't somewhere we go just because.

I'm not saying the church is dying.  That's not true.  We see it flourishing in many emerging communities.

I'm not saying anyone is "killing the church" by using outdated language and music - that's not true.  People will find meaningfulness in any language and music as long as they have a reason to search.

I am saying that we need to think about the reasons why we gather as the body of Christ.

Why do we gather on Sunday mornings?
Why do we want to talk to people about our faith?
Why do we help others?

Why?
Why?
Why?

Is it because we encounter God?
Is it because we want to surround ourselves with the faithful when we experience doubt?
Is it because we want to lose our sense of self in the mystery of God?
Is it because we desire true community that tears down walls between "you and me"?
Is it because we yearn to erase labels of race, gender, and sexuality?
Is it because we long to call ourselves Children of God?

I hope so.

1 comment:

  1. I know why I go to church. When I was little, we went to church as a matter of course--it's Sunday morning, and going to church isn't just one option among many, it's just what we do. And with time, I came to appreciate that the week didn't feel right without going. It would feel off somehow if I missed worship. But now, I go because that's where God's people gather most explicitly. Because I like to be reminded in the stories and complaints and joys and lives of the congregation that God's people are struggling along like me to be who God wants them to be. They fail sometimes, they succeed sometimes, and sometimes going along can be really, really hard--but in the end it's about gathering. I go because we can get together around the Word and the Meal, get reoriented together, struggle together, express ourselves to God together. We can't be Christians by ourselves, after all.

    ReplyDelete